Sunday, March 8, 2009

Next time I'll ask for Monica Bellucci

You know which is possibly the... funniest thing about losing my job a few days ago? Two days before the "we are closing down" bomb exploded, I wrote a two pages' piece in my newspaper, explaining how someone can actually fly around the globe with less than 1,000 euros (no kidding. London-Kuala Lumpur-Australia-USA-London can be done with less than 1,000 euros on plane tickets). In the intro I "admitted" that in our difficult times, in a period of global recession, "announcing" to your readers that they can really fly around the world for less than 1,000 euros is... almost provocative, is like mocking all those thousands of people who lose their job every single day. Still, as I wrote, for someone who can take the time off and has the money to afford, now is an absolutely amazing time to make the dream trip of his/her life, now that the airlines all around the world are offering seats at shockingly (in some cases) low prices. When I wrote that piece, I had no, as in NO, idea, what would happen two days later. I honestly thought my job was secure. The idea of losing it, didn't even cross my mind. The possibility of a huge meteorite hitting earth, destroying our civilization, looked more probable in my head that me losing my job... Well, 48 hours later the unthinkable had happened. What I had subconsciously dreamed of while writing that piece, having the freedom to make such a huge trip, had happened... Next time I dream of some really crazy scenario, I'll make sure it'll be one that will include opening my eyes one morning, only to find Monica Bellucci lying next to me, smiling at me...
On another note, yesterday I went to see "Slumdog Millionaire". Made me smile, got my eyes wet a couple of times (don't you just love internet and how you get to admit embarrassing stuff that the whole world can see, hidden behind your holy anonymity?!), and also gave me goosebumps more than once or twice, so all in all, I left the theater highly satisfied with my choice. What was funny was something I noticed in the end, while everyone was leaving, as the end titles were falling on the screen. The end titles are "accompanied" by a song and a typical Bollywood scene, dozens of dancers dancing. In the second half of the song, I noticed some of the lyrics were in Spanish(!), even though the song was, of course, Indian. In December 2006 I was in India, I went to watch "Dhoom:2", and in one of the movie's songs there were lyrics in Brazilian Portuguese... Six months later, I was in Brazil on my next big backpacking trip... :-) Last night I considered it a sign, as if the Spanish lyrics in the song were a... confirmation of how right my decision is to go to Latin America for some months, now that I don't have any job obligations. Is it really a sign? I seriously doubt it... But, you know, when you really want something, when you have decided to do something with all your heart, your eyes/ears spot/capture images/sounds that you welcome as signs... They say the world is full of signs, our everyday lives are full of signs, and we just need to spot them, not overlook them. I say this may be true (I don't know. Who does for sure?!), but sometimes we just see what we want to see, and we accept something as a "go ahead" sign, because deep down we want and need it to be such a sign...
Gosh, these last lines exhausted me... My little brain is not fully equipped for deep (rrright) thoughts like these... Maybe I should just hit the bed early tonight (it's 10:30 pm here, in Greece), and work on that... Monica Bellucci crazy scenario in my sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment