Friday, March 13, 2009

I guess I needed a little slap

After spending countless hours online, going through websites of dozens, literally, Spanish schools in Guatemala, I finally came close to a decision, I chose a school, but before submitting my registration, I dropped the owner of the school a note, writing her all about my concerns that had to do with the level of the teachers at her school. I kind of... asked her to guarantee me that the teacher I will be given once I arrive there, will be qualified enough to meet my high demands, and by "high demands" I explained her that my intention is to leave Guatemala with my Spanish being as good as my English. She sent me back an email in a really polite tone, but writing a couple of things that felt like little slaps on my face, delicate ones, but slaps nonetheless... She wrote me that I should go to Guatemala with a positive attitude, not worrying about the level of the teacher I will be given, and definitely without the expectation to learn in a few weeks/a couple of months Spanish that could match my English, which I studied YEARS as a kid and teenager, and have been using non-stop ever since. She wrote me more, and I admit I finished reading her email with... mixed feelings. She was right in everything she wrote me, she made perfect sense, and that made me feel well, feel confident about going to her school, possibly because I like people who are down to earth and don't overdo it with promising things. On the other hand, I felt bad, no, scrap that, I felt like an idiot! How on earth did I write her that I have the expectation to leave Guatemala speaking Spanish just as well as English?! What a stupid thing to write... How did I even think that in two months I will be able to write 1,000 words' emails in Spanish in half an hour without making more than just a few mistakes? What a moron... Me and my big stupid mouth... My only excuse is that I wrote her that email after a sleepless night, having had three coffees in about six hours, so I wasn't in perfect control of my mind and fingers... (you have to admit that's a pretty decent excuse, but be fooled not, if it wasn't, I would just come up with another one. When it comes to finding excuses for stupid things I do/say, I outdo myself). Anyhow, I got my slaps, I definitely needed them, and two minutes later I was filling in the registration form to book a place at her school. What can I say? Maybe deep down I am hiding a little masochist...

No comments:

Post a Comment